UK Handmade is running a campaign to get people buying Handmade and supporting independent designers and makers throughout the UK. Sign our pledge and join the cause!
Why Buy Handmade?
Buying from small independent businesses and individual makers has never been so important particularly given the current economic climate. A recession can often be a perfect time to start a small business and the current cultural shift towards self-sufficiency means that a huge number of people are setting up on their own. Our own forum has nearly 5000 members with more joining daily!
Not only that but buying handmade has advantages and benefits that you won't get buying from the larger stores on the high street.
- Many designer / makers will happily produce items that are made to order and bespoke so you can get something uniquely personal at surprisingly affordable prices because many designers don't have the same overheads as shops.
- Buying locally reduces your carbon footprint because products haven't been shipped from the other side of the world.
- Buying locally also means the money you spend stays in your area and boosts the local economy.
- Independent makers care about the things they make so building a relationship with local designer / makers means you are guaranteed outstanding customer service and exceptional quality.
Check out the handmade shops directory to find shops selling handmade goods near you!
I Am A Shop, Boutique, Gallery Selling Handmade - How Can I Get Involved?
- Download the campaign poster HERE and print it out.
- Display it prominently in your shop/boutique/gallery window.
- Email a photo of the poster displayed in your shop window to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will add it and your shop details to our shops supporting the campaign list!
I Am A Designer / Maker / Supporter - How Can I Get Involved?
- Firstly sign our pledge below and add your name to the cause.
- Tell everyone you know, friends, family and colleagues about our campaign and why they should buy from you and your fellow makers.
- Share the link on twitter and facebook using the hashtag #buyhandmade and get it trending!
- Add our campaign badge to your blog or website and if you blog about the campaign do let us know.
- Tell us what you are doing in your own area to support local businesses and designers to improve your own economy and help handmade in general and we may post it on our supporters page, contact email@example.com with your stories!
Grab The Badge!
Campaign badge designed by Jo Askey
Copy the code below and paste it into your blog or website...
<a href="http://ukhandmade.co.uk/buy-handmade-campaign" target="_blank"><img border="0" alt="www.ukhandmade.co.uk - Buy Handmade" src="http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu265/KalaArt/buyhandmade.jpg" /></a>
Add your name to the Buy Handmade Campaign!
(note we will not pass on your details to any third party, your privacy is important to us!)