UK Handmade was created back in 2008 by a small group of designers who felt that a well designed, accessible digital magazine and website was a good format to support fellow makers and showcase handmade as a real and often preferable alternative to high street goods. Talented designers are producing original and skilfully made items and, although there are many avenues available to sell work from, it is still a struggle to get those all important sales. The Buy Handmade Campaign began in 2011 as a response to the frustration felt by many designer / makers that their handmade products were not being valued by the general public, and it's still going strong.
Why Buy Handmade?
Buying from small independent businesses and individual makers has never been so important - particularly given the current economic climate. A recession can often be a perfect time to start a small business and the current cultural shift towards self-sufficiency means that a huge number of people are setting up on their own. Our own forum has over 6000 members with more joining daily!
We know that buying handmade has advantages and benefits that you won't get buying from the larger stores on the high street.
- Many designer / makers will happily produce items that are made to order and bespoke so you can get something uniquely personal at surprisingly affordable prices because many designers don't have the same overheads as shops.
- Buying locally reduces your carbon footprint because products haven't been shipped from the other side of the world.
- Buying locally also means the money you spend stays in your area and boosts the local economy.
- Independent makers care about the things they make so building a relationship with local designer / makers means you are guaranteed outstanding customer service and exceptional quality.
I Am A Designer / Maker / Gallery Owner - How Can I Get Involved?
- Sign our pledge and add your name to the cause.
- Tell everyone you know, friends, family and colleagues about our campaign and why they should buy from you and your fellow makers.
- Share the link on twitter and facebook using the hastag #buyhandmade and get it trending!
- Add our campaign badge to your blog or website and if you blog about the campaign do let us know.
Buy Handmade Badge -
<a href="http://ukhandmade.co.uk/buy-handmade-campaign" target="_blank"><img border="0" alt="www.ukhandmade.co.uk/buy-handmade-campaign" src="http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu265/KalaArt/buyhandmade.jpg" /></a>
- Tell us what you are doing in your own area to support local businesses and designers to improve your own economy and help handmade in general, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your stories.
- Download the poster to print and display at your craft fair or in your shop window http://ukhandmade.co.uk/buyhandmadebadge.pdf.
Where can I buy handmade?
- The Magazine - our quarterly magazine features and interviews the best designers and makers in the UK. Read their stories and buy from their websites.
- The Showcase - every six weeks we have a new showcase of handmade products that you can buy direct from the makers themselves.
- The Directory - check out our localised directory to find galleries and makers in your area.
We look forward to hearing from you!