Latest Articles

UK Handmade Jane Paveley Sparkle Ceramics and Jewellery
Inspired by the natural world and created using a variety of techniques - UK Handmade member, Jane Paveley, introduces Sparkle Ceramics and Jewellery.
Front Cover of 100 Great Children's Picture Books
Cover illustration by Sara Fanelli
Design Your Career
Are you looking to grow your creative business? Design Your Career's event at London's Craft Central will equip you with the necessary tools and information that you need. As creative enterprises expand, the role of the founder often changes.
UK Handmade Fiona Dix LoveFibre tidepool
UK Handmade portfolio member Fiona Dix of LoveFibre shares some of her thoughts on the meaning of making.
Kaleidoscope in Gallery at Brockholes
Gallery at Brockholes is a designer-led gallery in the heart of the North West, run by the Art & Craft Guild of Lancashire. The guild has moved from Burscough Wharf to the beautiful setting of Brockholes, a stunning nature reserve near Preston, and brings with it a reputation for inspirational artwork.
Duck Ceramics
Today we meet Alice Duck, maker of beautiful wonky ceramics (her words, not mine!) and find out what inspires her work...Please tell us about yourself and how you got started?
Front Cover of Plant-Based Paleo
Review by Lisa Margreet Payne
Kaleidoscope cane pendant by Helenka White Design
In the first part of this article Helen White of Helenka White Design showed us what essential tools are needed to create beautiful jewellery with polymer clay and shared an easy tutorial for beginners. In the second part she shares with us some of her own work and explains the techniques behind each piece.
UK Handmade Astrid Weigel The Foragers
Stylish, original, and slightly quirky - UK Handmade member Astrid Weigel's homewares reflect her love of Scandinavian and Eastern European folk art and the nature around her Ayrshire studio. Here Astrid talks about how she goes about making of one of her pieces.
UK Handmade Margaret Dier blue beetle embroidery
"Browsing the internet I found a beetle picture and wow! The picture just jumped right out, a true turquoise jewel. The colour caught me first, turquoise being my favourite, and then I just knew I had to stitch it."  UK Handmade Portfolio member, Margaret Dier, describes how Coleoptera was created.
Front Cover of Flavours of Summer
I have a terrible habit of choosing to review baking books. It has become a bit of an addiction, I find myself staring at lovely images of cakes and cookies for an unhealthy amount of time. However, with the return of the sun and ambient weather in general I find myself putting my baking books to one side (for now), the thought of chocolatey and sugary treats feels all melty and sticky.
UK Handmade Oakwood Soaperie Ceri Aitman
UK Handmade Portfolio member, Ceri Aitman of Oakwood Soaperie handmakes luxurious soaps using organically grown botanicals from the National Trust's Gibside Estate. From planting to packaging, here she tells us how they come into being.
Helen Hallows
Helen Hallows is a Textile artist based in the Midlands, just outside Nottingham. Her passion for nature and the changing seasons are evident in her work. Practical living and be true to yourself and your work is her daily mantra. I caught up with Helen and this is what she had to say... What is your background? Where did you train? 
My worksspace.
In this two part article, UK Handmade Portfolio Member, Helen White from Helenka White Design gives us an insight into the world of polymer clay and how this fantastic medium can be used to create gorgeous and quirky jewellery. Part 1 gives an overview of the clays and tools. In Part 2 she shares her own creations and explains some of the techniques used.